Post Abortive Support
Choosing to have an abortion may have left you suffering some emotions that you were not expecting. The compassionate advocates at Women’s Help Center are here to offer a safe place to talk about your abortion experience. If you have had an abortion in the past, check and see if you are currently experiencing some of the grief symptoms listed below.
Symptoms of Post Abortion Stress Syndrome
- Guilt, anxiety, or psychological numbness
- Depression (unexplained feelings of sadness; sudden uncontrollable crying episodes; poor self-esteem; sleep or appetite disruption; reduced motivation; conflicts in relationships; thoughts of suicide)
- Anniversary grief (on the anniversary date of the abortion or due date of the aborted child)
- Flashbacks of the abortion
- Preoccupation with becoming pregnant again or anxiety over fertility and childbearing issues
- Interruption of the bonding process with other children
- Survival guilt
- Eating disorders, alcohol and drug abuse, or other self-punishing or self-degrading behaviors
Research has demonstrated that abortion can be responsible for at least some profound long-term emotional disturbances in a woman’s life. Post Abortion Stress or Grief are the terms used to describe a woman’s inability to:
- Process the fear, anger, sadness and guilt surrounding her abortion experience
- Grieve the loss of her baby
- Come to peace with God, herself and others involved in the abortion decision.
Women’s Help Center offers a safe, confidential environment to express and work through the emotions associated with your abortion. If your abortion is still on your mind and heart, no matter how long ago it took place, we would like to help you heal and move on to a happier chapter in your life. We are here to help and support you through your grief. Our post abortion team understands what you are going through. Contact us today for information or an appointment to come in and speak with one of our client advocates.