Abortion Pill by Mail
Abortion Pill by Mail
Windy Hill, FL
You may have heard that some places offer at-home abortions with the abortion pill by mail. These pills may not always be effective or safe, and here’s why:
Abortion pills bought without a prescription are not FDA approved and risk being contaminated, counterfeit, or containing varying ingredients. Also, according to the FDA, it is illegal to order the pills without having a prescription.
The FDA also advises against buying abortion pills over the internet because you risk bypassing important safety guards that protect your health.
The steps for mail-order abortions generally include booking an online appointment for a telehealth visit where you will speak with a provider who will ask you questions. If you meet their criteria for the abortion pill, you should receive the pills by mail within 24 – 72 hours. You then start the abortion pill procedure at-home and follow-up with a telehealth clinician.
Not all abortions by mail are conducted through telehealth. Some online providers require only a questionnaire to be submitted and no follow-up telehealth visit. The cost may be lower, but the risks are higher.
In either case, it is important that you have a pre-abortion screening before making your decision. The licensed medical professionals at Women’s Help Center will conduct the screening, and our staff can discuss your options with you. Knowing all the facts before starting the abortion procedure is vital. Call or text 904-885-8864.
- If it has been more than 70 days since your last period
- You have certain medical conditions, including certain heart or blood vessel diseases; severe liver, kidney, or lung disease; an uncontrolled seizure disorder; or certain other medical conditions
- You are on a blood thinner or certain steroid medications
- You have an intrauterine device (IUD)
- Have a suspected pregnancy outside of the uterus (ectopic pregnancy)
- You may have an allergy to the abortion medications used
A: A chemical abortion involves a series of pills to terminate a pregnancy and does not require surgery or anesthesia. The medications (mifepristone and misoprostol) work together to end and expel a pregnancy from a woman’s body. The first pill, mifepristone, is given at a doctor’s office or clinic and blocks a woman’s progesterone, which is the hormone a woman’s body needs to develop a fetus. The second pill, misoprostol, is taken approximately one to two days later and will generate labor contractions. Misoprostol can cause severe cramping and heavy bleeding as the body expels the contents of the uterus.
If you’re considering this procedure, make sure you understand the possible side effects, risks, complications, and alternatives. Women’s Help Center will guide and support you to help you make an informed decision about your pregnancy.
- sustained fever, severe abdominal pain, prolonged heavy bleeding, or fainting
- abdominal pain or discomfort, or general malaise (“feeling sick,” including weakness, nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea, with or without fever)
- an incomplete abortion, which may need to be followed with a surgical abortion
- an ongoing pregnancy if the abortion pill doesn’t work
A: Prices vary by provider. The cost of an abortion depends on the type of abortion you are considering and the gestational age of the pregnancy (how far along you are). The state of Florida restricts insurance (both private and state-funded Medicaid) from covering the cost of abortion, except in the cases of rape, incest, or if a woman’s life is in danger.
Florida requires you to have an ultrasound 24 hours before an abortion. Women’s Help Center provides free ultrasounds and pregnancy tests as a service to help you know for sure what’s going on with your pregnancy, including:
- How far along you are
- If the pregnancy is in the uterus
- If there is a fetal heartbeat
Women’s Help Center does not provide or refer for abortions.
Abortion Pill By Mail Windy Hill, FL 32246
Windy Hill is a neighborhood in Jacksonville, Florida with a population of 14,387. Windy Hill is in Duval County and is one of the best places to live in Florida. Living in Windy Hill offers residents an urban feel and most residents rent their homes.